Conjunctions

A. Underline the correct answers
1. I bought a pen ( and, but, so ) a ruler at the stationery shop.
2. James is strong ( and, but, so ) his brother is weak.
3. Do you want to drink coffee ( but, and, or ) tea?
4. The teacher scolded Azman ( because, so, and ) he did not finish his homework.
5. Peter forgot to bring his ruler ( because, but, so ) I lent him mine.
6. Sandy likes to play badminton ( and, but, or ) Manjit does not.
7. A bird can fly ( and, so, but ) it cannot swim.
8. Puan Salmah cooked some rice ( and, or, so ) vegetables.
9. Veloo is short ( but, and, so ) he can jump high.
10. I know that man ( and,so, but ) I have forgotten his name.
11. Pak Hassan is a kind man ( so, and, because ) everyone likes him.
12. It was raining ( but, or, so ) Mei Yee used her raincoat.


B. Fill in the blanks with the correct words
and
but
or
because
so
1. Maniam __________ Samy are classmates.
2. Is Jack taller _________ shorter than you?
3. The little boy is crying __________ he fell down.
4. I want to go jogging _________ I am too tired.
5. It was too late ___________ I went home.
6. My father took a knife _________ cut the fish.
7. I like to dance ________ my sister does not.
8. It was raining _________ I wore a raincoat.
9. David is strong __________ healthy.
10. We like to eat apples _________ not oranges.

C. Join these sentences using ‘and’, ‘ but’, ‘or’, ‘because’ or ‘so
1. The supermarket was closed. We went home.
2. The teacher likes Amin. He is a good pupil.
3. I like to eat ice-cream. I like to eat chocolates.
4. Do you want to play football? Do you want to play hockey?
5. Fay is fat. He can run very fast.

D. Circle the correct answers
1. Irene was sick _________ she did not go to school.
A. or
B. so
C. and
D. because

2. Are you reading ________ watching television?
A. or
B. so
C. but
D. because

3. Chee Hang is sad __________ he lost his book.
A. so
B. and
C. but
D. because

4. It was getting dark, _______ I switched on the lights.
A. so
B. but
C. and
D. because

5. Steven is intelligent ___________ lazy.
A. or
B. but
C. so
D. and

6. It was raining ________ we stayed at home.
A. so
B. and
C. but
D. because

No comments:

Post a Comment